Monday, December 11, 2006
What Makes a Leader?
Leader, leader where are you? Are you still sleeping?
In the history of mankind, the success and fall of a nation it lies upon in the leader.
In this present time, you often can find true and dedicated leaders to do their job well in the service of mankind. Many leaders nowadays, it’s sad to say but majority of them were just only after for money, power as well as recognition. ITS HURTS YOU KNOW! but it’s really true. Our world suffers because of some selfish leaders.
To become an effective and great leader it is one of the most painstaking kinds of job. That’s why I have arisen with this question, WHAT MAKES A LEADER?
In this short article, I will share with you, dear readers of what I’ve learned through my personal readings from the profiles as well as the writings of the great men of excellence and valor. To give you some tips enable you to become also a man of excellence, a man of honor, a man of dignity as well as a man of power!
Now, read carefully the following tips below and apply it to yourself. Dear readers, a great teacher once says, “Teach me and I will forget, show me and I will remember; allow me to do it and I will learn.”
The above wise teachings mean, you must apply the tips below and put it into action. Remember, action is louder than words! A true effective leader, they are doer; not a talker!
1. Character. Character is one of the best assets in the leadership. If you want to become a good as well as effective leader, encourage yourself to nurture your character, for your character will cover and protect your reputation!
James Legget once says, “Reputation is made in a moment. Character is built in a lifetime.”
2. Affirmation. Leader should and must understand that their members has an innate need to be treat like a human being, to be special, to be valued most. Tomas Carlyle reminds you “A great man shows his greatness by the way he treats little men.”
3. Avoid Criticizing. A true effective leader has no time in criticizing, mocking as well as insulting the individuals for their mistakes and failures. They are busy in improving themselves and helping the lowly ones.
4. Learn of controlling your temper. A true great leader knows how to manage his temper as well as his tongue during in times of volcanic eruption period. Always remember this; people will lost their honor and respect with you if you’re a hot – headed person!
5. Team Work. It is one of the essence as well as best ingredients in leadership. Andrew Carnegie, the author of the book How to Win Friends and Influenced People asserted “It marks a big step in your development when you come to realize that other people can help you do a better job than you could do alone.”
6. Mentoring. A leader cannot be qualified to be call leader without followers. To enable you to become a true, great effective leader, you must learn to become a follower also and encourage, motivate, nurture and train your flocks to become a good great leader in the future. Always remember this, people will forget what you said...But people will never forget how you made them feel!
7. Vision. To become an effective leader you should have always a vision for your group or members. The Word of God exclaims “Without vision people will perish.” So remember, are true effective leaders are visionary!
8. Risk. True great effective leaders are not afraid to take a risk. Stan Toler commended “Leaders are willing to pay a price. They’re prepared to barter what they have for what they might gain. They’re motivated more by the prospect of success than by the fear of failure. They’re adventurers. They’re not willing to stay on the porch.”
9. Motivation. True great leaders were busy in motivating as well as inspiring people. Stan Toler argued, “The best leaders are those who can inspire others to reach for something greater than themselves.”
10. Unselfish. True great leaders were not selfish. They are ready and open their hands wide to help his flocks in time of needs. Remember this dear readers, you shall pass through this world but once, any good therefore that you can do or any kindness you can show to any human being let you do it now. Let you not defer or neglect it, for you shall not pass this way again!
11. Build a better you. True great leaders are busy in continuing improving their attitude, character, talent, skills as well as relationship with other people. They’re not wasting their time for idleness. Every minute are important for them.
Before I will conclude my article, I would like to leave a special message for you, dear readers.
Sufi Bayazi says this about himself: “I was a revolutionary when I was young, and all my prayer to God was … “Lord, give me the energy to change the world.”
As I approached middle age and realized that half my life was gone without changing a single soul, I changed my prayer to… “Lord, give me the grace to change all those who came contact with me. Just my family and friends, I shall be content.”
Now that I am an old man and my days are remembered, my one prayer is “Lord, give me the grace to change MYSELF.”
Had I prayed for this right from the start, I should not have wasted my life.
Wish you many blessings to come and God Bless!
Moises Padin Reconalla
About The Author
Moises Padin Reconalla Currently worked as School Guidance Counselor, College Instructor and Working Student Supervisor at North Davao Colleges, Panabo City, Philippines.
You can send your comments about this article through his email email@example.com
All rights reserved World wide. Copyright December 2006 by Moises Padin Reconalla
NOTE: You're free to republish this article on your website, in your newsletter, in your e-book or in other publications provided that the article is reproduced in its entirety, including the author information.